I have loved nail polish for as long as I can remember, and have accrued quite the collection over the years. Special thanks to my friend and hair stylist, Nikki, for enabling me (lol)! Choosing the manicure color of the week is as exciting as outfit planning in my opinion! And a polished (no pun intended!), patent-leather mani can pull together an entire look.
|The Collection! In rainbow order, of course! :)|
Here are some of my favorite solid manicures:
|Clockwise from top left: OPI Alpine Snow, Orly Choreographed Chaos, |
Orly Cotton Candy, Orly Beach Cruiser
I'm also a huge fan of "party nails" (painting one or more fingers in a different color than the rest), glitters, tape designs, and other nail art...when I have the time!
|Clockwise from top left: OPI Rumple's Wiggin' + Orly Peaceful Opposition, Sally Hansen Mint Sorbet + L'Oreal Not a Cloud in Sight, Orly Liquid Vinyl + OPI Barefoot in Barcelona, OPI Pink Me I'm Good over OPI Strawberry Margarita|
Besides choosing a professional-approved nail color, I also want my manicure to LAST. The budget limitations of being in grad school do allow for me to get a gel manicure every few weeks. My color preference changes more frequently than that anyways!! A few months ago, I stumbled across Emily Gemma's DIY Gel Manicure. She is the wife of a medical student, and I happen to think her penny-pinching method of duplicating a salon quality manicure is GENIUS!! Below are the steps that I have been using since I first read Emily's post on her blog, The Sweetest Thing. Let me know what you think, and please take a minute to visit Emily's adorable page!
What you will need:
- Gelous Advanced Nail Gel Coat (available at Sally Beauty Supply)
- nail polish color of choice
- Out The Door Top Coat (also available at Sally Beauty Supply)
- Start by removing any nail polish from the nail, and using a four-way nail buffer block. This prepares the nail bed and smooths out any unsightly ridges.
- Wash hands with soap and water to remove filing residue.
- Apply a coat of Gelous Advanced Nail Gel Coat, and allow it to dry for 2-4 minutes. Repeat.
- Apply a layer of color and let dry for 4 minutes.
- Apply another layer of Gelous and let dry for 4 minutes.
- Apply another layer of color and allow to dry for 2-4 minutes.
- Finish off with a layer of Out The Door Top Coat, and ENJOY!!
A few tips and tricks are to make sure that your nails and hands are moisturized. I love Burt's Bees Lemon Butter Cuticle Cream...it smells amazing and has transformed my hands and cuticles! If you struggle with the actual painting process, here is a great tutorial that is similar to how I paint my own nails.
My hands are subjected to constant hand washing, hand sanitizer, and rubber gloves, and this manicure method allows my nails to stay beautiful for at least a week! I hope that you will give it a try, and let me know what you think!
As always, thanks for reading!